Our reason for being
Amberoot was created with the ambition to make the fashion industry more environmentally friendly, ethical and transparent.
1) divest fashion industry from fossil fuels. Two main reasons for that:
- ~70% of all clothing are created from oil, plus dyeing, finishing, manufacturing are also mainly fossil fuel dependent and contribute to climate change.
- ~ 80% of ALL plastic waste in our oceans are microfibers from our synthetic clothing. Plankton eats it, fish eat it, birds eat it, you eat it..
2) improve the quality of life for all human and non human animals.
- Child labour, abuses at work, petty wage in the industry we find to be not acceptable.
- “Luxury fashion” is still quite often connected to using animal ingredients (leather, fur, etc.). We do not stock leather or fur, for other animal ingredients we have stringent requirements for animal wellbeing. We are pushing the whole industry to consider animals worthy of a happy and fulfilling lives and remove animal ingredients where possible.
- For us beauty definitely means not just the external look. More importantly it is the transparent story of how the planet and people were treated while making clothes. With our unique product Transparency maps we bring out “in sight and in mind”.
Two million tons of new clothes are purchased in the UK alone, every year. Out of this, over half are discarded and sent straight to the landfill. The waste and toxic pollutants present throughout the manufacturing process make the fashion industry the second most polluting in the world – something has to change.
Amberoot aims to tackle this in several ways. Firstly, through the materials we endorse and stock, including: organic, biodegradable, sustainable and diverse materials. We are also mindful of our finite resources and use recycled and upcycled fibres to reinvent instead of toss away. Our work with artisans & craftsmen/craftswomen is crucial to aid the conservation of such wholehearted and maintainable methods.
We are working hard to steadily minimise any harm done throughout the garment production process, by curating a selection of responsibly sourced, high-quality products which you would neither need, nor want to discard after a couple of wears.
One in five people worldwide work in the fashion industry, often in inauspicious and unsafe working conditions that have led to the loss of many lives. Amberoot’s holistic approach works with brands that consider and care for every person, in every part of a product’s lifecycle, including: cultivation, production, manufacturing and distribution. Our products come from Fairtrade™ brands, and particularly those that invest in social development by working closely with local charities, employing individuals with limited opportunities, and empowering women and minority groups. We believe working closely with individuals is crucial to maintaining the traditional crafts and artisanship that are so vital.
Transparent and Informative
Amberoot is driven to find solutions to the environmental crisis. Knowing about each stage of garment production: its effects, techniques, and people involved, is imperative as well as fascinating. We marvel at the artistry and workmanship that goes into this process – from conception to birth – and we think everybody should have the chance to appreciate these journeys too, which is why we tell their stories.
We have a long way to go to craft a more sustainable future, and to get there we need to talk about our problems, and share solutions. It’s also important to embolden brands that are already taking substantial steps towards sustainability by providing them with a crucial platform. We are sincere and thoughtful in our endorsements; we hope this will make ethical and environmentally-driven decisions more visible and accessible to all. The unique sustainable filtering system on our website is there to allow you to find products depending on what you care about most.
Where there is a will, there is a way.
We are more informed of our impact on the planet and better equipped to nurture it than ever, not forgetting our potential as humans, to draw on our ingenuity and adaptability, to uphold our compassion for life and appetite for justice. We now need to more fully engage these capacities to build an economic life that is more socially just and environmentally conscious, and less harmful to nature and the commons that sustain us.
An appreciation for wild, exquisite places demands that we participate in the fight to save them from devastation. To further look after the health of our planet, and help put a stop to this steep decline, being a member of 1% for the planet we donate 1% for our sales to hundreds of grassroots environmental groups all over the world who are working to reverse the damage. We also make every effort to minimize our carbon footprint along the way.
Amberoot’s CEO & Co-founder Gintare